Sunday, January 31, 2010

Church Hopping

Over the last month my lovely wife and I have been trying on different churches in the Aurora, Colorado area and trying to find a good fit for us. We have been going off and on to the Littleton Church of Christ in Littleton, Co for our 1 1/2 years of Martial bliss but we really haven't "fit in" at that church the way we wished to and its now quite a hike from our current location. For the last couple of sundays we tryed a Church of Christ in aurora which was around 150-200 members. The first time we attended there was a guest speaker that spoke about Haiti and how we should help them and then he spent the rest of service telling us that if we go to the Denver stock show it stead of church next sunday then we were forsaken the assembly. Fearing retribution from above my beautiful wife and i attended the church again the following week. The regular minister was preaching and he spoke on proper bible study. Midway through the power packed lesson he went into a a lesson on proper bible translations. I had no idea until the good pastor told me that the NIV bible i had been using was a translation "not from God" and should never be used. So after my leggy wife (her legs go all the way up!)and I finished burning all the NIV bibles in the house we both agreed to keep looking for another church. Today we attend Colorado community church in Aurora and we both were pleased to see smiling faces, up-beat music and folks that look like they really wanted to be there. Today was there day of prayer and it was a neat experience. We both decided to give this church a chance...I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. What an experience. Too sad that it is too true most places. Glad you found something a bit more cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not gascon75, but that was my comment just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laugh. I probably would have just got on the highway to hell and gone to the stock show. Glad you found a place that looks like it is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice (FWIW): Don't get to caught up in liking the preacher or not. We went through that with our preacher here at first, didn't like him at all, thought he was too flamboyant, etc. But after 6 years, he has become a good friend. Of course at a congregation with 30 members you have to get along!

    I grew tired of the right/wrong translation fights years ago. What is it with preachers picking on whatever translations are out there they don't personally use? Bigger fish to fry guys, come on! -would have turned me off too, can't blame you.

    Congrats on the little bundle of joy coming in Sept!

    ReplyDelete

Followers